On 10 June 2010, the Secretary of State for Education commissioned Professor Eileen Munro to conduct a wide-ranging independent review to improve child protection. On 10 May 2011, Professor Munro published her final report entitled A child-centred system.
The report makes fifteen recommendations covering several key areas including:
- a change of approach to Serious Case Reviews (SCRs),
- reform of social work training and placements with employers and Higher Education Institutions
- each local authority should designate a Principal Child and Family Social Worker to report the views and experiences of the front line to all levels of management.
- local authorities and their statutory partners should be given a new duty to secure sufficient provision of early help services for children, young people and families,
- strengthened monitoring of the effectiveness of help and protection by Local Safeguarding Children Boards, including multi- agency training for safeguarding and child protection.