Report by Contact a Family and National Network of Parent Carer Forums shows parent carer forum impact in the reform of special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) services.
The National Network of Parent Carer Forums (NNPCF) and Contact a Family have produced a new research report called Findings from parent carer forums in pathfinder areas to find out:
- how parent carer forums had been involved with these changes
- what difference it had made when parent carers had been part of planning
- the benefits and challenges of the participation of parent carers in the development of services.
Results of the report
- Where parent carer forums were fully involved and 'co-producing' the changes with local authorities and other partners, there seemed to be quicker progress.
- Co-production proved an effective way of enabling full and meaningful parental engagement
- When forums were involved in developments it built closer and better working relationships between parent carers and partner agencies.
The report also provides a range of other useful learning for local parent carer forums and local authorities.