A practical training session for social workers and social care staff working with disabled children and young people and those with SEN. This one day workshop is hosted by your SEND Regional Network and will be facilitated by the Council for Disabled Children.
This workshop is for social workers (children’s and adults’ services), social care practitioners, practice managers and team managers. Strategic SEN and social care managers are also invited to attend part of the session.
The aim of this workshop is to provide social care professionals with an opportunity focus on a range practical areas identified by regional leads as a priority, including:
- The role of Social Care in EHC needs Assessments and planning
- Developing aspirations and outcomes with a focus on social care
- Identifying Social Care Needs as part of the EHC assessment and planning process
- Securing good quality social care advice
- Links with the Care Act 2014 and Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Preparing for adulthood and transition planning
- Case law updates and implications for practice
There will be activities and opportunities to put theory into practice throughout the day, drawing on examples CDC has gathered, as well as through colleagues sharing their practice on the day.
A light lunch will be provided.
Social care and the SEND Reforms induction e-learning module – to be completed prior to attending event
CDC has developed an e-learning module designed to be an induction to the SEND reforms affecting social care which is available to access via the CDC website.
Attendees will be expected to complete the e-learning module in advance of this training as the training will draw and build on the content covered in the module.
The interactive e-learning module will include:
- The legal Framework
- Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014
- Children Act 1989
- Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970
- Care Act 2014
- Mental Capacity Act 2005
- The EHC needs assessment and planning process
- Identifying social care needs as part of the EHC needs assessment and planning process
- The role of Social Work and Early Help practitioners in implementing the SEND reforms
Dates and locations
We are offering the training across the nine regions of England, click below for more information and to book your place:
- North West - 27th October, Bolton (completed)
- Yorkshire and the Humber - 18th December, York (Hudson Room, West Offices, Station Rise)
- London - 10th January, London, (Body and Soul, Rosebery Avenue)
- East of England - 17th January, Stevenage (Robertson House, 6 Six Hills Way)
- South West - 22nd January, Dorchester (The Dorford Centre, Bridport Road)
- North East - 26th January, Durham (The Durham Centre, Belmont Industrial Estate)
- East Midlands - 31st January, Kegworth (Yew Lodge Hotel, Packington Hill)
- West Midlands - 12th February, Birmingham (Jury's Inn, Broad Street)
- South East - 19th February, London (Coin Street, Waterloo)
Events in the other English regions are being planned and will be announced soon. If a date for your region is not yet listed above, please contact us to register your interest, including your region in the email subject line.