This is the Special Educational Consortium response to the Ofsted and CQC consultation on local area SEND inspections.
In our response we welcome the Department for Education’s request that Ofsted and the Care Quality Commission inspect how effectively local areas fulfil their responsibilities towards disabled children and young people and those who have special educational needs.
Nonetheless, we believe there a number of areas where Ofsted and CQC could improve their proposals. These are summarised below.
- The two day notice period for inspections is not appropriate for this inspection process
- Ofsted and CQC should consider a two stage inspection process
- The inspection of health and social care functions should not be limited to their involvement in EHC assessments and plans
- Gathering the views of children, young people and families
- The size of the inspection team should be linked to the size of the local area
- Further consideration needs to be made of the types of evidence that should be requested during the inspection process
To read the full response submitted in response to the consultation please use the link below.